Saturday, April 26, 2008

58:365 Escape!

Anna: It's alive - and trying to run away!

My sourdough has reached young adulthood. Rosencrantz is still unsure of what he wants to do in life, and wishes to explore his options.

This is why a sourdough must never be in a sealed container.

And yes, we name our sourdoughs.

When I lifted the lid to feed the started today, I could see it had expanded to just under the lid after yesterday's feeding. I didn't need to add water this time, just flour and a bit of sugar, but I knew I'd need to keep a close eye on it. I checked it several times as I cleaned the kitchen, and it was slowly coming to a bubble. When I was done cleaning, I sat down for a bit - and promptly forgot all about it.

Finding this changed my baking plans considerably. *L* I hadn't intended to use Rosencrantz until tomorrow, at 7 days old. Instead, I started on it today. I made plain white bread for hamburger buns in one batch, then oatmeal, flax and honey dough for a second. Then I went out and bought more loaf pans and a much needed cookie sheet. By the time I came back, they were ready to shape, so I've got two sheets of hamburger buns on sheets rising with two loaves. As soon as I finish posting this, my scalded milk should be cool enough to do another 2 loaves of milk and honey bread.

Even with two cups of starter taken out, rose again to the top of the container, though not quite enough to overflow, while I was gone. It's all frothy now, too.

I'd say this starter is doing just fine!

5 comments:

The Travelers Journal said...

Sounds great! I wish we could smell through the blogs, I love the smell of baking bread.

AphotoAday said...

Sounds like great fun in the kitchen... A little bit of mad science and little bit of baking... It's alive...

I used to grow Acidophilus bacteria in upasturized cow's milk, and it had a life of it's own... Great bugs for the gut...

Anonymous said...

so happy your sour dough is living up to expectations. Happy baking!

Gawdess said...

sounds like there is good eating at your house

Sharon said...

Sounds good!