Thursday, April 17, 2008

49:365 - Reflections - updated - Almost Done


Philippe: You know, I think this is my favourite tree in Edmonton. :). Took this shot twice; first at F1.8 (what you see here) and again at F: 8.0. I figured, since this is a scenery shot, it would benefit from a deeper depth of field, but the F8.0 shot slowed the shutter speed down to the point where the sky blew itself out.

Oh.. and in case you were wondering, I'm a morning person. :)














Anna: Our younger daughter does crochet, and she's been working on a scarf for her dad for some months now. None of us can remember if she started before or after Christmas, but it was around then. See that mass of yarn on the side? That's all that's left, and she's finished! The scarf itself is carefully rolled up so it's easier to flip. It's about 4 feet long now. We'll have to measure it when it's done.

Funny thing is, although I'm the one who taught her how to crochet, I can't duplicate her method. She holds her hook differently, which gives an extra twist of yarn. I hadn't actually noticed the difference in how she holds her hook for the longest time, but the result is a very solid fabric, with smaller gaps between the stitches. I rather like it, but it took me a while to figure out why hers looked so different.

When this is done, she plans to make another for her sister, who's already chosen purple and green colours for it. :-D

5 comments:

Gawdess said...

the tree is very graceful looking, and the still mirror like water is marvelous in this shot.

AphotoAday said...

How you people figure out how to do that sort of stuff is way beyond me...
My mother was ALWAYS either doing some sort of knitting or crochet project (fastest baby-bootie maker ever in Pacific Grove), but I would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between knitting and crocheting...
Dad picked up the hobby of latchet hooked rugs after he retired, and he was a real dynamo at it -- don't know how many he made, but it was a lot, for sure...

Ampersand said...

i am not a morning person, but i do so love the morning light.

beautiful capture.

and nice action shot on the crocheting. :)

Sharon said...

I can do a chain - that's the extent of my crochet skill! LOL

marianne said...

what a beautiful morning shot - the sky is awesome.

great that she's learning so young - I'm so inept in that category!