Sunday, April 6, 2008

38:365 - 20 years ago, today

Anna: Twenty years ago today, my husband and I were married.

We were all of 19 years old. Philippe was living in BC. Having injured himself half way through basic training, he was in "X Platoon," waiting until he was recovered enough to start over. I was living in Manitoba. He had only a week available to come out to Manitoba and, with his parents and sister out of the country, we decided to simply elope. It was Easter weekend, and he arrived late Thursday night. With both Good Friday and Easter Monday being government holidays, we couldn't get our marriage license until the Tuesday. Manitoba law required a minimum 2 days between getting the license and the ceremony, so the earliest we could have the ceremony was on the Wednesday. His brother was our best man, my best friend was my maid of honour. A friend of his brother's took a few photos, and that's all there was at the ceremony. That Friday, Philippe flew back to BC, and we didn't see each other again until July. With the rest of his family able to come back to Canada for a short visit, and Philippe still in X Platoon, we were able to have a get together at my parents' farm, where this photo was taken by my sister. He then returned to BC, and we didn't see each other again until the following September, when I finally moved out to join him. Although we had our weekends together, we didn't actually live under the same roof until after he graduated and we moved to Victoria, BC, where he was posted.

Because of the circumstances of our marriage, predictions of its success were less than positive. Many assumed I was pregnant, and far more predicted a divorce in the near future. Many of those who predicted the failure of our marriage are now divorced themselves.

So here we are today, twenty years later. We've been through a lot over the years, both good and bad. Such is life, and it's so much better for having gone through it together.










note: this photo was taken by our elder daughter, who is 15 years old, not 19 1/2, using her Canon G2

12 comments:

AphotoAday said...

Well, being a confirmed batchelor, I certainly am no expert on marriage (I think that's how you spell it)...

But I want to wish you another 20 blissful years, and then another 20 after that! You guys make a cute couple!

jo(e) said...

Happy anniversary! I love the photos.

(Some family members predicted that my marriage wouldn't last because my husband and I are such opposites. We've been together since 1978 and will celebrate our 25-year wedding anniversary next summer. Isn't it great to prove people wrong?)

Gawdess said...

congratulations and happy anniversary - I love your wedding dress!

Sandie said...

I wanted to say cute couple too! Congrads!

The Travelers Journal said...

What great pictures! Happy Anniversay!

marianne said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the story and your photos are great. :)

Anonymous said...

Well done! What an absolutely fantastic story. Congratulations. (wiping a small tear of joy for you both). Lovely pics too!

Anna said...

Many thanks to everyone for their kind words. :-)

A.

Ampersand said...

happy anniversary!

Sharon said...

Happy Anniversary! People thought the same thing about my parents, married when she was barely 16 and he 17 - they just celebrated 49 years! Hope you have many more happy years together :)

Karin said...

A belated happy anniversary!

LauraLiz said...

It's been a busy week and I am WAY late, but still wanted to add my congratulations!