Wednesday, March 26, 2008

27:365 sentimental value


Anna: Detail of a carved wooden box, the largest of three nesting boxes, each with the same designs carved on the lids and sides. They're from Poland, and are a popular item for export. I see variations of them all over. These ones, however, are more than pretty nic-nacs. Some years ago my father made a trip to Poland, the first and only time he's been back to the country of his birth since coming to Canada shortly after WWII. He brought these back as a gift for me. The artist in me appreciates the designs, the colours and the technique. The sentimental part of me sees these and thinks of my father, and I find myself smiling.

8 comments:

LauraLiz said...

What a lovely pattern!

Ruth said...

It's so nice to have things that link us to our loved ones. I have a collection of boxes too. I just posted about another collection I share with my mom on a different blog than you visited, linked in my name.

Ruth said...

Oh, when you get to my profile, it's the Synchronizing one.

Thanks for your visit to Flying.

Gawdess said...

it is a gorgeous detail and a very important connection to the past.

AphotoAday said...

That's some really amazing craftsmanship -- what a treasure.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

That is really beautiful and so sweet!

Lynette said...

How lovely this is, both the story and the photo. Treasures are wonderful, especially when there is a family connection.

marianne said...

ooo, how beautiful - wonderful, sweet story too.