Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Mileage can be rough

  I've carved out a career in the Information Technology field, and as I started out low and late (second career at 27 after Military, and starting out at the bottom of the salary scale) I had a tendency to always keep an eye open for better opportunities. This meant that I averaged approximately two years per company, some more, some less. Companies are big on regular small salary increases rather than large jump so I arranged my own; the down side is that these usually ended up dragging my family across the country a fair bit. While no-one complained, I could see the toll this was taking on them.

  For the past seven years or so, I've been concentrating on stability more than anything else. The moving has settled down a fair bit and so has the job hopping. I'm happy to say this picture signifies almost five years with the same employer.

No comments: