Monday, June 2, 2008

93:365 Medieval Day

Anna: Today's park day was our group's annual Medieval Day. A lot of the kids dressed up for it, as well as some of the parents. I'd made cotehardies for the girls last year, thinking they were large enough to be used this year, too. I was wrong. ;-) At least we were able to pass my younger daughter's one on, and she'll be able to wear the bigger one next year.



There was a table full of people working with wool - carding, felting and dying it in tiny batches.
















There's always food to share. For today, some people were able to bring foods that would've been enjoyed in medieval days, including these farm fresh hard boiled eggs...















... some home made bread - even home made cheese...















... and a goat.

Ok, we didn't eat the goat, though I suppose once she's old enough, her milk can be used to make cheese. ;-) This kid was the most laid back and relaxed baby goat I've ever seen. It contentedly allowed complete strangers to come up and pet it, take it for walks on a leash, and feed it grass and leaves. When she found herself alone, she promptly started bleating for company. The children were happy to oblige.






As I was sitting in a camp chair, my daughter pointed out the beautiful clouds above me. As I started taking a picture, she jokingly stuck her hand in and out of the shot. I got her to do it again, and her friend added her hand as well. I thought it made for a very striking picture. :-)

5 comments:

Gawdess said...

the cotehardies are beautiful and there are some wonderful shots here of a neat event.

BouBou's said...

Thanks. :-D I'm just amazed and now much the kids grew in a year. I *did* try to take that into account when I made them! *L*

InspĂ­derwiht said...

Alas, genetics are fickle things, and win the battle against our bizarre hominid clothing fetish once again.

...

..Sorry, that was a little random.

~Eldest

Scrivener said...

I wanna take my kids to the Ren Fest here soon. This looks like a fun outing. I really like the cloud-hands shot.

carl h. sr. said...

Hi (Anna?)I saw your comment to Ruth and found my way here.
I like the little stories that go with your pictures.
The 'Cloud-Hands' so reminds me of the painting that has God reaching down from above to touch someones hand.
I like your photo-blog!